Hill fort relics in south Weybridge atop St Georges Hill.
Referred to in a document at ‘Waigebrugge’ – or Bridge over the River Wey. Land owned by Benedictine Order in 666. Chertsey Abbey.
Weybridge situated in the Elmbridge Hundred, one of 13 Anglo-Saxon administrative districts.
Domesday Survey mentioned as ‘Webruge’.
In document of 1284 it is shown as ‘Waybrugg’. A simple wooden bridge over the Wey was used by monks and pilgrims to Chertsey Abbey, and Weybridge ‘hamlet’ would have comprised a few wooden huts and shelters situated along the present day High Street and Church Street. All local people would have had a smallholding on which to grow vegetables, graze stock, with water from River Wey.
St Nicholas, a small medieval church, survived until 1849 to be replaced by St James. First Rector of Weybridge appointed, and there has been a rector ever since.
Henry VIII starts the building of Oatlands Palace.
The Diggers, followers of Gerard Winstanley, occupied south Weybridge wilderness making the case that land ownership should be based on the tillage of land itself.
The River Wey Navigation opened. It was one of the earliest canals in the country.
Portmore House purchased by Duke of Norfolk. Later became Dorchester House, after Countess of Dorchester, mistress of James II. House demolished in 1822, and the current Portmore House was in 1930s home of Dr Eric Gardner GP and first Honorary Curator of Weybridge, and later to be Elmbridge Museum.
Duke of York purchased Oatlands House, built in the grounds of Henry VIII’s 1537 Oatlands Palace.
The Duchess of York is commemorated by the monument on Monument Green, and the Dial Stone from this column is situated next to Weybridge Library (and Elmbridge Museum) adjacent to footpath to car park.
Population has reached 930.
Weybridge Railway station opened on 21 May.
As the village’s population increase St James’ Church replaces the smaller St Nicholas, as it had become far too small for the hugely increased population of Weybridge. In churchyard are the chest tombs of the Duchess of York, Frederica Charlotte Ulrica, Bosomworth and Welland. Church designed by JL Pearson who later designed Truro Cathedral. Relics from St Nicholas church survive in St James’.
Population has reached 1,200.
St James Church spire completed.
Victorian Brick and Iron bridge built over River Wey to replace medieval wooden bridge.
The graveyard filled so a new cemetery was created in Brooklands Lane.
St James’ chancel extended.
1st February – Weybridge became the first in England to be wholly lit by electricity – but because overhead lines were not popular, the local authority decided to go over to gas,
Weybridge’s population has reached 3,944.
Portmore Park Estate and The Quadrant developed by Arthur Cobbett, who died in 1906.
The funeral of the Duke of Paris who was buried in Weybridge at the old Catholic church. There were many mourners from European royalty in attendance. He was the end of the line of the French royal family who tried to claim back the throne.
Weybridge became a town with the creation of the Urban District of Weybridge. Gas street lighting becomes operative in September.
Population now 5,300. Weybridge Methodist Church begun, designed by Mr. Gunton, architect, and built by Mr. W. Greenfield.
Brooklands racetrack opened.
Weybridge and Walton’s governments merged by Act of Parliament against the wishes of the people.
Hayfield Hall was built on land adjoining the Methodist church, and used as Sunday school and for social functions.
Brooklands racetrack closed due to war and used as Vickers Aircraft Factory.
Walton and Weybridge local government merged with Esher’s to form the Borough of Elmbridge.
Brooklands Museum opened on part of the old Brooklands racetrack.
Brooklands racetrack becomes site of Mercedes Benz World and a local community park.
Olympic cycle race runs through Weybridge.